We require candidates to fulfill the position of a 1-Year Contract who will manage, and ensure that the agency’s financial, human resource, technology and administrative systems are efficient, effective and legally sound, so as to increase the capacity of Embrave to meet its strategic goals. You will also be responsible for ensuring that facilities are appropriately maintained. Additionally, as the Business Manager you will be a member of Embrave’s management team.
What to Expect in the Business Manager Role:
- Develop and manage the internal financial policies, procedures and systems in conjunction with the Executive Director to ensure effective financial practices that are consistent with relevant legislation
- Prepare and monitor the annual operating budget
- Prepare financial reports to Government funders, foundations and other non-government funders in conjunction with the Executive Director
- Produce monthly/quarterly financial statements and variance reports
- Prepare and coordinate annual finance audit
- Manage agency cash flow and investment portfolio in accordance with funders guidelines
- File annual returns to government departments in compliance with various legislation, including Charity Information Return, EHT Return, WSIB Return, GST/PST Rebate application, Form 1 (Directors & Officers update), etc.
- Liaise with financial institution regarding accounts administration
- Participate on the Board Finance Committee
Human Resources Administration
- Develop and monitor HR policies and systems, offering support and guidance as required (Performance Management, Recruitment, Orientation, Training & Development, Attendance Management, Employee/Labour Relations, Health & Safety, Compensation)
- Ensure effective tracking, recordkeeping and reporting of employee data
- Prepare new employee contract letters and monitor probationary requirements
- Manage the benefit plan including group insurance and RRSP
- Offer support and guidance to Managers and Supervisors in the implementation of HR systems
- Participate as required in recruitment activities and staff planning
- Track HR outcomes/metrics and report periodically to the management team (overtime, turnover, absenteeism, recruitment, training, grievances etc.)
- Represent the agency during union negotiations and in ongoing union/management relations
- Participate on the Labour Management Committee
- Research and conduct comparative analysis on salaries and employee entitlements as required, and recommend changes to compensation structure and strategy
- Monitor compliance with Occupational Health and Safety legislation and serve as a certified management co-chair of the JHSC as needed
- Ensure compliance with all relevant legislation (ESA, Human Rights, Pay Equity etc.)
- Coordinate maintenance and ongoing improvement of job descriptions
- Coordinate the recruitment, orientation and training of department staff and volunteers
- Supervise staff and volunteers as needed, providing on going guidance, support and feedback
- Evaluate performance of staff according to agency policies and discipline staff as required
- Ensure all facilities and equipment are effectively maintained and upgraded as required
- Manage the insurance coverage for the agency’s property, business liabilities and Board liabilities
- Research and negotiate major service contracts and purchases
- Develop policies, procedures and systems related to administration and technology
- Ensure that all information systems are adequate and resolve issues as they arise
- Ensure appropriate back-up of agency data
- Attend Funders meetings as required
- Manage relations with suppliers
Management Team Support
- Assist with other duties as required, from time to time, aiding with the efficient operation of the organization
- Attend regular management meetings and collaborates on organizational initiatives as a member of the management team
- Participate in Staff Training Days, AGM and Internal off site events
- Back up Emergency On- Call duties on a rotational basis
- Related University Degree such as Business Degree in Non-Profit Management, or equivalent experience
- Extensive financial management experience, preferably with non-profits
- Experience managing in a unionized environment
- Strong management and supervisory skills
- Excellent communication skills, with the ability to provide information concisely and effectively to any audience or supporter.
- A commitment to working in a social service/social justice organization and within a feminist, anti-racism and anti-oppression, harm reduction and disability justice framework.
- Strong organizational skills and ability to multi-task
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite and SAGE accounting software
- A valid driver’s license is required.
- CPA designation is an asset.
Scope and Accountability
The Embrave Management team will work closely together and this position will report the Executive Director.
Embrave is committed to the development of an organization that reflects the communities it serves. We actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including:
- First Nations, Métis or Inuit peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples.
- Members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion, spiritual beliefs or place of origin.
- Persons of marginalized sexual orientations.
- Persons with visible or invisible disabilities.
- Survivors of the psychiatric system/consumer survivors.
- Two-Spirit, genderqueer, trans and non-binary people.
To apply: Please forward a resume and customized cover letter in PDF format, subject line: Development Manager, to Winnie Chu, Executive Assistant, Embrave Agency to End Violence, at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include your compensation expectations and why you’re the right person to help us succeed in our fundraising and development efforts. Early submission is encouraged, as applications will be reviewed as they arrive. Notwithstanding, all applications must be received by 11:59 pm on September 24th, 2021.
No phone calls, please. We thank all applicants for applying however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We will provide employment accommodation (i.e., an accessible location, technical aids, accommodation during the interview, rescheduling of interviews that fall on religious holidays, etc.) if we are advised of an applicant’s needs in advance of any part of the selection process.
Full Time 1-Year Contract Position
Contract, Full-Time job (37.5 hours per week). Occasional evening and weekend work when required.
Date of Posting
September 1, 2021
September 24, 2021