We are looking for a creative leader with a strong background in gender-based violence and sexual violence work.
They will have an interest in developing staff teams using innovate strategies and engaging staff to ensure service excellence. The Shelter Program Supervisor works in collaboration with other Program Supervisors and with the direction from the Manager of Programs and Services to ensure effective client service delivery, documentation, staff scheduling, labour relations and health and safety for the shelter and folks Embrave serves.
They will also be responsible for supervising the shelter staff and ensuring an effective and coordinated response of support, counselling, crisis supports, and advocacy for women, two-spirit, genderqueer, trans and non-binary folks who have experienced violence and their children.
As a member of the management team, they will contribute to the planning and achievement of long-term agency goals and objectives.
• University or college education in a related field, such as Indigenous Studies, Gender and Women’s Studies, Sociology, Assaulted Women’s and Children’s Program, Early Childhood, Human Rights, Social Justice, or the equivalent in education and extensive experience.
• Commitment to an in-depth knowledge of Social Justice, Critical Race Feminism, Anti-Oppression, Anti-Black Racism, Anti-Colonial, and Harm Reduction framework.
• Understanding Gender Based Violence (GBV) as a complex social problem and the intersectionality of sexism, racism, classism, colonialism, homophobia, transphobia, islamophobia, sanism, etc. on clients’ and their children’s lived experiences of violence.
• Knowledge and understanding of the systemic barriers experienced by clients and their intersectionality of oppressions i.e., Social Housing Reform Act; Mental Health Act; Landlord Tenant Act; O.W. Act, ODSP Act, etc.
• Experience working with clients in areas such as poverty, violence, and homelessness.
• Demonstrated experience supervising staff and ability to mobilize and sustain a positive team environment.
• Ability to train, motivate, and recognize team members’ professional needs.
• Experience working in Unionized environments.
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, organization, and time management skills.
• Ability to maintain confidentiality.
• Preference will be given to a person who identifies as an Indigenous person.
• ASL is an asset.
• Current First Aid and CPR Level C training is required.
• G License and access to vehicle is required.
Scope and Accountability
The Embrave Management team will work closely together. Full Time ( 37.5 hours per week). Occasional evening and weekend work when required.
Embrave is committed to the development of an organization that reflects the communities it serves. We actively encourage applications from members of groups with historical and/or current barriers to equity, including:
- First Nations, Métis or Inuit peoples, and all other Indigenous peoples.
- Members of groups that commonly experience discrimination due to race, ancestry, colour, religion, spiritual beliefs or place of origin.
- Persons of marginalized sexual orientations.
- Persons with visible or invisible disabilities.
- Survivors of the psychiatric system/consumer survivors.
- Two-Spirit, genderqueer, trans and non-binary people.
Please apply for this position through the Charity Village platform by December 8, 2022. In your cover letter please include your compensation expectation and why you are the right person to help us succeed in meeting our strategic objectives.
Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
We will provide employment accommodation (i.e., an accessible location, technical aids, accommodation during the interview, rescheduling of interviews that fall on religious holidays, etc.) if we are advised of an applicant’s needs in advance of any part of the selection process.
Full Time Position
37.5 hrs. per week – the hours of work for this position varies as needed (this may include evenings), including on-call coverage.
Date of Posting
November 16, 2022
December 8, 2022